Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

I have been having gas and bubbles that feel as if it

Customer Question

I have been having gas and bubbles that feel as if it passing through my vagina. I have had feces just pass through my rectum without warning. My GYN, told me to wear a pad because the surgery to correct it is difficult and does not always work. The gas
problem has been going on for about 6 months. The fecal problem about 3 years. Do I see the Doctor that did my colonoscopy for the gas problem? I am 65 years old.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified Ob-gyne. I can help you today.

I'm sorry you're having this trouble. It sounds to me like the issue is weakness in the muscles of the pelvic floor. This can cause air to get inside the vagina when moving around, only to have it expelled later. I do agree that surgery to correct this is not the 1st choice. Instead, we'd start with a referral to a physical therapist that specializes in pelvic floor muscle issues. They can help you train and exercise to strengthen these muscles to prevent this.

So the best option would be to call your gynecologist and ask if a referral to a physical therapist for pelvic floor treatment would be a good option.

I hope this was reassuring and helpful. Please reply if I can clarify anything or add more details. I want to be sure you have the most helpful information for your situation.