Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

Doctor, Last night I met a girl who I didn't previously

Customer Question

Doctor Scott,
Last night I met a girl who I didn't previously know. We ended up having unprotected vaginal intercourse and oral sex.
She told me she was clean and I trusted her considering she was well educated and had a very successful job. It was naive of me and a mistake I regret.
Being the worrisome person I am, I asked her the next day (today) when the last time she was tested and she was somewhat offended and told me that she sees her gyn regularly and told me she was tested within the past year.
This did not give me much peace of mind. Especially since she is extremely sexual and showed little concern of std's. I became pretty sure that I wasn't the first person she did this with upon meeting them.
I've already scheduled a test for two weeks from now. I'm writing you because I am SO scared now. I'm having an extremely difficult time with work right now and I'm curious about if I should go out with the girl I've been dating. I don't want to put her at risk. Would protected sex with her be reasonable or should I avoid it all together? Please help and thank you
Category: OB GYN
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please disregard the phone all, I'd rather not pay more money if that's an additional service
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

To be completely safe, it would be best to not have sex with the girl you've been dating until your tests come back negative. However, having sex using condoms would be reasonably safe. It's somewhat problematic if you have previously not been using condoms. She would likely wonder why you are now. If you wish to be honest with her, you could tell her about the exposure and let her decide.

STD testing in 2 weeks will detect the majority of diseases you could have gotten, but not all. Syphilis and hepatitis A, B, and C require 3-6 weeks or so to show up on blood tests. However, all of these are not highly likely.

Gonorrhea, chlamydia, and HIV will usually show up 2 weeks after exposure.

Herpes and HPV are not worthwhile testing for unless symptoms develop.

I probably don't need to tell you that in any similar sexual exposure in the future, using condoms will help to avoid this problem. Best wishes.