Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

Im a little confused because my number 't match. i had an

Customer Question

hello drIm a little confused because my number don't match. i had an abortion on march 2,2015 and i had my period for a long time. then my LMP was April 09,2015i had a pregnacy test on May 11, 2015 but i almost didnt see the line. so thought it was negative. Later that week May 15 did another one and it came out POSITIVE!i had sex with two different partnersapril 20 partner 1
april 21 partner 1
april 22 partner 2 (didn't eyaculate completely inside)
april 23 partner 1
april 29 partner 1
april 30 partner 1
MAy 1 partner 1I'm currently 28 weeks pregnant and my due date says Jan 24,2016
I'm confused if because i had an abortion my ovulation dates were all over the place. because my due date doesn't match my LMP. and donk know exactly what date i conceive and what partner.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

Did you have an ultrasound in the first 10 weeks?

If so, what was the date, and how many weeks were you? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i did i don't remember the date of the ultrasound, but they said january 24,2015 was my due date and they i was i think 7 weeks

An early ultrasound such as you had should be accurate within 5-6 days. Since it gave you a due date of January 24, that means a conception date of May 4. So you got pregnant sometime from April 29 to May 10.

So partner 1 must be the father, since you could not have gotten pregnant before April 29. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry DR week of may 25 was when i did the ultrasound and according to my LMP i was supposed to be 7 weeks but they adjusted to 5 weeks.
on may 11 i had a pregnancy test done and it came out positive with the line very light.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
im also expecting a baby girl. does that help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
according to my LMP i was supposed to ovulate on the 25, but since i got an abortion months before, that could messed up my cycle?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i recently had a 3d ultrasound and they told me i was due date jan 22, my partner 1 is asian and partner 2 is not, in the 3D the baby don't look asian :/ I'm worried.

The only thing that's really important is the size that they measure your baby on the ultrasound. That gives a very accurate idea as to your due date and your conception date.

Since it gave you a conception date of May 4, that means that you ovulated about 2 weeks before that, around April 20.

Since you had a positive pregnancy test May 11, that means that your conception date must have been a little before May 11, since a pregnancy test won't be positive for at least 7 days after conception.

We use the earliest ultrasound for dating, since that's the most accurate. Any ultrasound done after that won't be as accurate.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dr I'm now more confused. you think i ovulated on the 20th?. should i got pregnant then
that week was when i had sex with both man. ??april 20 partner 1
april 21 partner 1
april 23 partner 1
april 29 partner 1
april 30 partner 1
MAy 1 partner

I'm so sorry. I misspoke. Ovulation and conception are generally the same day. So you ovulated around May 4.

Your calculated last period (which the ultrasound will do, giving a presumed last period 14 days before conception) would have been April 20. That was apparently about 11 days after your actual last period of April 9. Actual last periods are not really relevant as long as we know the approximate conception date.

Sorry to cause more confusion.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the ultrasound giving the due date January 24,2016 its what we have to follow no matter what. ? correct?

That is correct. since both that and the conception date are calculated based on the fetal size at the time of the ultrasound.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dr theres no way a sperm can live inside for more than 5 days?

No. Very few sperm survive inside for 5 days. Most sperm don't live more than 2 days. It's rare that conception occurs more than 2 days after intercourse, never more than 5 days after.