Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I am 10 weeks pregnant today and have a story of recurrent

Customer Question

I am 10 weeks pregnant today and have a history of recurrent BV infections. I usually make my own boric acid suppositories and insert vaginally after intercourse to prevent them. Around 5 weeks I had BV with no symptoms and 2 different docs told me they
don't treat til 2nd trimester. Today at 10 weeks I have symptoms and called my gyn and she prescribed me flagyl and said it was safe to use. I'm so confused. Is it safe to treat in first trimester? Should I wait? Should I treat with a boric acid suppository
or a hydrogenperoxide douche? Or should I take the flagyl? There are conflicting opinions online as well.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

By 10 weeks all the organs are formed, so that is actually the time when it becomes safer to use medications during pregnancy. However, to have some cushion, many of us prefer to wait until the 2nd trimester, around 13 weeks.

Studies have shown that treating BV in pregnancy can help to reduce the chance of preterm birth and preterm rupture of membranes, so it's important to treat BV later in pregnancy, but probably not that important to treat it early in pregnancy. So I would wait, but I wouldn't argue too much with a doctor that wanted to treat after 10 weeks.

Some doctors don't recommend boric acid suppositories during pregnancy, although I'm not sure there are studies showing harm.

I would not recommend douching with anything.

As with most things, it's usually best to avoid medications during pregnancy is possible.

My recommendation would be to wait to the second trimester and use the flagyl orally. There is no hurry, and you will likely need to use it again during your pregnancy. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. She prescribed me 4 500mg pills to take all at once. Do you find this treatment ok? I will try to wait til 2nd trimester. Also do have any home remedys safe during pregnancy. I had asked my doctor and she said the boric pills were fine and it usually only takes 1 to do the trick but I don't want to chance it.

That is the treatment dosage for treating trichomonas. I am not aware of that dose being used for BV The CDC recommends flagyl 500mg twice daily for 7 days for BV in pregnancy or not.

As far as home remedies, using lactobacillus vaginal suppositories can be helpful. It's used 1-2 suppositories daily.