Dr. Kala
Dr. Kala, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Caring US educated & trained physician, 26 years of experience in OBGYN & women's health care.
18657704

I am 70 years old. I'm told that my uterus is much thicker

Customer Question

Hi. I am 70 years old. I'm told that my uterus is much thicker than it should be. Is it necessary to get a D&C?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I am privileged to help you get more understanding about your current concern. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or Skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

The uterus has a lining, the endometrium (endo) which is shed every month when we have our periods. After a woman has gone through menopause the endo should be very thin. A thickened endo can be a sign of cancer or a pre-cancerous condition, known as hyperplasia. The only way to know for sure which it is it for a sampling to be done. We typically perform a hysteroscopy, where we look into your uterus with a microscope to see where the biopsy or tissue sampling should be taken. At the same time a D&C can be performed.

Let me know if you have any further questions regarding this question as my goal is to make sure you are completely satisfied with your answer.

So yes, you should have your thickened endo evaluated. Discuss having a hysteroscopy so that nothing will be missed, which can happen if only a D&C is performed.