Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

Can I take two nexiums within a 24 hour period?

Customer Question

Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 year ago.

Well the simple answer to this question is that YES you can take two nexium within a 24 hour period provided you are taking a 20 mg dose. The total maximum dose of nexium within a 24 hour period is 40 mg. However in some cases it can be increased upto 80 mg a day, in very severe cases. The only thing is that you shouldnt be taking any other drug which can interact with the nexium.

I hope I have been helpful and this answers your query. Please remember to assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time. You are free to ask follow-up questions thereafter at no charge although any bonuses would be appreciated. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off.

If, for some reason, you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place and still earn a positive rating from you. Finally, you may request me in the future by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR Dr. Muneeb Ali".

Thank you for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been taking nexium and galviscon for 3 days now. It has certainly helped with the pain in my stomach. I would eat and immediately feel pain and dizziness. I'm thinking I had gastritis considering my level of discomfort.
I feel much better now, but I still have a bad taste in my mouth while eating and right afterwards. How long will it take for that to resolve?

Its certainly likely that you have gastritis which could present with these symptoms.

The bad taste in mouth is most likely due to the acid coming back in the mouth. So as long as there is an element of acid reflux you could continue to have the bad taste in mouth, however it can be controlled within a week to 10 days after you starting taking nexium.

Thank you for using Just Answer.