Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I'm having menstrual problems. I started having problems

Customer Question

I'm having menstrual problems. I started having problems when I became tapering off Klonopin. For the last two cycles, I bleed off and on for a week and a half. The bleeding starts off light, and then gets heavier. After five days, I begin to have a normal looking menstrual flow. This time, though, the color of the blood is different. It looks kind of a pinky red which I have never seen before in my 21 years of having a period.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

How regular have your last 2 cycles been coming?

Do you use anything for birth control?

When was your last pelvic exam? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About 4.5 weeks. Don't know how to calculate because of light bleeding beforehand. No birth control. Celibate. Last pelvic exam six months ago.

It sounds like the bleeding is due to irregular hormones. The irregular hormones are probably mostly due to your age, and stress or tapering the Klonopin may have something to do with it.

Most likely the prolonged bleeding is due to some extra buildup of your uterine lining due to the hormonal changes. That's usually easily treated using progesterone pills.

I would recommend seeing a doctor. Assuming that your exam is normal, he/she may give your some progesterone pills to see if that clears up the bleeding.

If so, that's likely the end of it, although it might occur again later.

If that doesn't clear up the bleeding, then you may need further investigation, such as ultrasound, endometrial biopsy (thin tube through the cervix to sample the uterine lining), etc. Best wishes.