Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I feel a slight outside vaginal irritation & have thick

Customer Question

I feel a slight outside vaginal irritation & have thick white cottage cheesy looking discharge. Is this a yeast infection? Also what is the downside of vaginal and oral sex while these symptoms are active, both for me and my partner?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

It's likely a yeast infection, although it's not possible to be certain without testing.

If it resolves with yeast medication, then it was likely a yeast infection.

Some women get a thick white cottage cheese discharge and don't have a yeast infection.

The only downside of vaginal and oral sex while the symptoms are present is that there may be increased irritation, especially from vaginal sex.

I don't think there is any downside for oral sex, as many of us normally have yeast organisms in our mouths. Best wishes.