Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  40 years experience; Board certified Ob-Gyn
88055251

I know the exact day of my LMP and I know the exact day I

Customer Question

Hello, I know the exact day of my LMP and I know the exact day I conceived. Both make me 6 wks and 2 days. For the past weeks I've had some brown spotting and dark red blood when I would wipe. This has stopped. I had my hug levels tested and they went
from 986 then 48 hrs later to 1999. I then had a vaginal ultrasound and all they found was a sac that measured 4 weeks. I go back in a week to see if they can see more.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Ted Manos replied 1 year ago.

I'm Dr Manos obgyn. I did thousands of my own transvaginal scans and evaluated many quantitative pregnancy values. It's a good sign that the hug level at least doubled in 48 hrs. A four week sac is a little early to see evidence of any fetal echoes. There's a good chance for the next scan showing a fetal heart flicker and yolk sac both being reassuring that all is well. Some of the spotting could have been implantation bleeding that occurs when the pregnancy embryo is settling into the lining of the uterus and as a sac develops there is some blood discharged from the peripheral margins of the sac on the lining.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it normal that my sac is only measuring 4 weeks when I'm 6+2 weeks?

6 weeks is measured back to LMP The sac of 4 wks is from conception or 6 wks from LMP. All that matters right now is the next ultrasound.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am 6+2 weeks based on my LMP and on the date I conceived.

You have a sac in the uterus and you will know more of what's going on with the next ultrasound. Don't try to figure it out with what you know about LMP and conception date. Be patient for now.