Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

I am going through perimenopause. My now retired OB took we

Customer Question

I am going through perimenopause. My now retired OB took we off the pill without reading his partner's notes that I get horrible estrogen headaches. Sadly, the partner retired before him. However, my original doctor, quite by luck, found that ethinyl estradiol helped immensely (I was on the pill for irregular cycles--my husband is infertile.)
I am working with my OB to stop light bleeding, but decrease in the estrogen in the pills is causing horrid headaches! I see her Friday, but is there anything I can do now? I see a neurologist, and Maxalt and Toradol injections do nothing. Thank you.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.

I have no idea why you need to be off the pill. Unless you are a heavy smoker you can stay on it through menopause. It does not have to be low dose. Some women do better with a "standard dose". You may need to consider a new physician.