Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I usually have pretty regular periods (between 29-31 days

Customer Question

I usually have pretty regular periods (between 29-31 days apart) and they last between 4-6 days. I had my period as normal in September, but got another one 17 days later. Now it's only 7 days after my last period ended, and I am getting brown discharge and period symptoms again.
There has been no significant changes in my lifestyle. I have lost about 10 lbs, but over the course of the last 9 months or so, at the rate of about 1 - 2 lbs per month. I exercise 5-6 days per week but have done so consistently for most of my adult life. I do have not had a big shift in stress or diet either.
Thanks.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

Did your September period come exactly when expected?

Do you use anything for birth control? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My September period was about 3 days early than usual - I am normally pretty regular, but 3 days early would normally not raise any alarm.I am not currently using birth control.

The most likely cause of your bleeding is that you didn't ovulate before your last period. If that happened, then the uterine lining doesn't get cleaned off with the period. This results in a thick lining, which then tends to bleed and spot irregularly.

Not ovulating happens to most women at times, and happens more often once a woman is in her 30's.

In any case, the bleeding is abnormal and needs to be checked out. I would see your doctor for evaluation. Best wishes.