Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have a26 year old niece that is 6 weeks pregnant. She

Customer Question

I have a26 year old niece that is 6 weeks pregnant. She acquired viral meningitis as verified by Northeast Georgia Medical center, Gaineville, Ga. back in September, sending her spinal tap fluid to Mayo Clinic. October 21st after having level 10 headaches almost daily, vomiting, paralysis intermittently down her left side, she is getting weaker and weaker. In the hospital she was given anti-viral, anti-seizure medications, Norco, etc. Now she is taking Norco, for the pain and benedryl. Our family is beside ourselves with worry. Please tell us someone, hospital or Doctor to help us!
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry that your niece is so miserable.

However, it is unclear what information you are seeking

Are you asking whether the usual treatment is to ride it out, as advised by her doctor?

Do you know whether the testing done at Mayo Clinic identified the specific virus?

I had asked for some clarification and have not heard back.

If you are asking whether the usual treatment is to “ride it out”, the answer is usually yes, although it is dependent upon the specific virus that caused the infection. Antiviral medicines are only effective against a few specific viruses, such as herpes simplex virus. For most of the viruses that can be the cause of this presentation, there is no medicine that directly treats the virus, so the only option is to “ride it out”. Actually, I do not like to use that term, but prefer to say that treatment involves supportive care, but the essence is the same.

If you can get any information on the specific virus, then I can be more specific in the answer.