Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

I am 24+ weeks pregnant with healthy baby boy. I am 33 years

Customer Question

I am 24+ weeks pregnant with healthy baby boy. I am 33 years old and didn't want to abort it but I m in an abusive marriage that I want to get out of. I am in NYC. Can I get an abortion at 24w3days? What states allow termination after 24 weeks legally?
Please confirm ASAP as I don't have lots of time
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

Abortion is usually allowed under 24 weeks. However, the exception is in the case of life endangerment. You should see your doctor or ER. They will protect you and help you find the safe place from your husband. That's doctor's duty.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I heard it's possible 24-25 weeks also in NYC. I am going to call a clinic today. And in few states like Maryland, New Mexico it's allowed until 28 weeks. I talked to couple of clinics there who do it thru 28 weeks. Are they doing it illegally? Do you know?I have moved out to my sisters place and I am capable of finding a safe place for myself but I don't want him to be around all my life haunting me because I will have his baby. Also it will make my life difficult to move on and have a fresh start with another good guy in future. No one wants a divorcee with kids from previous marriage. So I need to know how can I get this pregnancy terminated. My optimism for him to be better ended up in a huge mess for me.
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

IA, SC, VA allow abortion until 3rd trimester. In another way, you can make someone who wants a child adopt your baby. There are a lot of people who really want a child. A social worker will help you find someone.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Until 3rd trimester means how many weeks exactly?Trust me I never wanted to abort never but I don't think u have an option. If I give birth to this baby my husband will not let me give it away for adoption
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

Third Trimester is 27 to 40 Weeks. You should consult a social worker about the legal issue of adoption if you want.