Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

I am a 45 yr. old woman with no story of breast cancer and

Customer Question

Hello - I am a 45 yr. old woman with no history of breast cancer and normal mammogram results for the past 10 years. My last breast exam and mammogram came out normal in 2013. I plan to see go for my next wellness exam before the end of the year. I am
about 5 days away from my menstrual period. I feel a little hard swelling at the top of my left breast. It doesn't feel like a lump or ball. It's more like when you are able to feel a tendon or tissue moving. I only feel it on my left breast and it's only
when I press down hard otherwise I can't feel it at all and have no pain, itching or tenderness. I also have a little redness (very tiny like a pimple) in that area, but I do have pimples throughout my breasts so this is not the only one. There is no pain,
discharge, color change or dimpling. Both my breasts look the same - nothing looks signficantly different between one and the other. Also, there are no lumps or bumps in the underarm or any other areas of both breasts - all is smooth. I asked an Oncology expert
on Just Answers earlier who indicated this is not cause for concern. He said this was normal based on hormonal changes due to my upcoming menstrual cycle. Would you agree? I would like a second opinion. Thanks.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.

Yes. I think you can be reassured that these findings may be due to your cycle. But you can never ignore a lump. It always warrants a Breast exam by a dr. And of course you are due for a mammogram. Most mammograms are normal

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, I am a bit scared by this. Should I be worried? It may be a few weeks before I can get an appt. How often should I have a breast exam and mammogram based on my age and history? My doctor said I can go three years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr. K - Are you still online?