Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

Here is my gram stain rsult: moderate gram negative bacilli

Customer Question

here is my gram stain rsult: moderate gram negative bacilli in singles, pairs and chains. few gram positive intracellular cocci. few gram negative cocci in singles, pairs and chains. pus cells 40-46/odf and few squamous epithelial cells. what does it mean? do i have std?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

What was the reason for the gram stain?

What is it a stain of?

How old are you?

Were specific std tests performed?

Do you have any symptoms? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
im having a green discharge with no odor. im 31 years old. symptoms now are left pelvic pain and lower back pain. my wet mount is negative for trich. my ob said gram stain is requires to rule out chlymedia and gonorrhea. this is a gram stain from my cervix or vagina i think.

Your gram stain is not suggestive of an std, but gram stains are not really very helpful in std testing.

To really know whether you might have an std, specific std testing is required. That may not be available in your situation, and if so, then it's just a guessing game.

If there is any place where you can get specific std testing, I would suggest you go there.

A green vaginal discharge is not often caused by an std, but it's possible.

Often a green discharge is just caused by bacteria that are not std, but not normal for the vagina.

It might be from inflammation of the cervix as well. In that case, it's often best treated by freezing the cervix.

So the gram stain just isn't really very helpful. Other testing would be more helpful.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
pap smear says negative for intaepithelial lesion or malignancy. but reactive cellular changes associated with inflammation (includes typical repair) 60/40 moderate inflammation. what does it mean?

It doesn't mean much. We see that kind of report on many Pap smears.

The cervix has inflammation so often that it can be considered normal. Almost every cervical biopsy will show inflammation, even when there is no disease present at all.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what could be the cause of my pelvic pain, back pain and green discharge? is it going to be something serious?

I'm afraid that the gram stain won't tell you the answer.

The doctor will need to do a good exam and whatever other tests are available.

Hopefully it's not anything serious.

Sometimes if a specific diagnosis can't be found, then we try antibiotics to see whether that will resolve the problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is green discharge or yellow discharge related to cancer?

Discharge would rarely be due to cancer. Only if you haven't had a Pap smear for years.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can an ovarian cyst or tumor cause green or yellow discharge?

No. An ovarian cyst or tumor cannot cause discharge.