Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray MD, Doctor
Experience:  Trained in obstetrical care and routine gynecology. 14 years experience as a family physician.
13781349

I have an issue with irregular menstrual bleeding, and

Customer Question

I have an issue with irregular menstrual bleeding, and recently have had very heavy bleeding off and on since about July. I am feeling really drained and tired lately and even walking up one flight of stares exhausts me now and I have to stop and rest. I just don't feel well and the last time this happened I was diagnosed with anemia. My doctor prescribed birth control for the bleeding back in May, and I only got the prescription filled yesterday and am going to get some iron supplements. My question is, how long should it take for the bleeding to stop after i've started the pills,and should I be able to get by with the pills and iron? H have had to have a d&c and receive blood transfusions once before and I really want to avoid another hospital stay and doctor visit, which is why I am wondering how long it will take the bc pills and iron to kick in?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Anthony Bray MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

You need to have your blood counts checked right away!! You have history of developing severe anemia with same pattern in the past. Your symptoms suggest that this is probably TOO LATE to fix with birth control and iron supplements!!

By all means start these but you need to have your blood checked ( CBC AND SERUM IRON) No later than tomorrow I strongly advise you!!

I suspect that you may have now severe anemia ...it needs to be checked...

If you feel easy fatigue with exertion, short of breath easily , rapid heart rate with exertion then these are signs of concern. You may likely now be at point of needing a transfusion as possible. So not ignore these symptoms I strongly urge you!! Please get this checked ASAP!!

I hope that this information is helpful for you.Let me know if you have further questions or concerns.I will be happy to get back with you.If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback.Thank you and Best Regards!

Anthony Bray MD