Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

Hearne, i am 45 years of age. years my largest fibroid

Customer Question

Hi Dr. Hearne,
My name is ***** ***** am 45 years of age. For 3 years my largest fibroid (located on the outer wall of the uterus) remain stable at 10cm. For the past year my periods got very heavy my ferritin dropped to below 6 (normal >= 30). Haemoglobin - normal. Been treated with iron supplements for 5 months now. In April I had to go to the ER for extreme pain. Ultrasound ordered - but not performed until June. In early May I started a 13 week cycle of fibristal. With goal to shrink fibroid and restore ferritin levels. In June the largest fibroid (I have two) had grown to 13.5cm. In mid-Aug the larger fibroid had grown to 18cm. So, fibristal seems to have caused the fibroid to grow rapidly. My OB/Gyn decided to atart me on another cycle of fibristal in early Sept. It seems my fibroid has grown even more as now I look 5-6 months pregnant (as my friends say). I decided to stop fibristal last night as I think it has contributed to its growth. I do not see my OB/Gyn until next wee
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Fibristal does not make fibroids grow. Whenever a fibroid grows very rapidly, the possibility of malignancy should be considered. You need the fibroids removed and preferably a hysterectomy.