Dr Norbert Scheufele
Dr Norbert Scheufele,
Experience:  specialist at self employed
28905844

I've had a painful swollen area on the right labia majora.

Customer Question

I've had a painful swollen area on the right labia majora. It begins with itching/irritation and after a couple of days my lip is doubled in size. It feels like a knot inside. After heat treatment it will come to a head and drain. This has happened a couple of times a year for about five years. Always the same spot.
Category: OB GYN
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I should say that I've had several cysts removed in the past. One from my brow area and one larger than a softball enveloping my ovary. My dad has several.
Expert:  Dr Norbert Scheufele replied 1 year ago.

the symptoms you describe could be caused by an inflammation of the Bartholin gland, also an abscess would be possible. As it happended several times at the same position, it could be neccesary to open it operational. Please visit your doctor as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Dr. N. Scheufele

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was under the impression that the Bartholin gland was lower on the labia. What concerns me greatly is that during the initial onset, it simply is itchy but after two days it's rock solid and very swollen. Is this common of either of your prognosis?

if it´s the upper area of th labia, it may be a hair follicle abscess, this may change in the way you describe it. Anyway, the doctor´s checkup is recommended.

All the best for you,

Dr. N. Scheufele

if there are still open questions, I will be happy to answer them. Otherwise please don´t forget to honour my work with a kindly rating.

Thanks a lot, all the best for you,

Dr. N. Scheufele