Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

I am looking an OB/GYN or Pediatrician that can look at my

Customer Question

I am looking for either an OB/GYN or Pediatrician that can look at my baby's 30-week ultrasound scan and tell me if they see any abnormalities.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

Can you attach the photos here? Did your doctor say something about your baby? Do you have any medical problem? Any surgeries? Are you on any medications? Any symptoms? Any family medical history?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response. I have attached images of my baby from the 30-week 3D ultrasound. I will explain my situation below:I found out I was pregnant when I was between 4-5 weeks pregnant (from my LMP). I had absolutely no clue I was pregnant at the time and had a few instances of drinking. The one I am the most concerned with was at a family wedding where I drank on the Friday and Saturday evenings, and I found out I was pregnant that following Monday. My husband and I had been "trying" for a while, but nothing was happening so we just kind of relaxed and gave up. I took a test at some point early in the week before the wedding, but it was negative. Not sure if it was possible old or if I didn't take it at the right time. I of course talked to my OB/GYN about this, as well as my midwife, and a few other doctors, and they told me I have nothing to worry about. But, I have read so many horrible stories on the internet about brain damage and facial abnormalities, and I am completely freaked out. Had I had any clue I would have NEVER touched a drop. I am not even a big drinker, but that month had a lot of celebrations with alcohol. I am 30 weeks now, and all of my scans and ultrasounds are normal.I went in for a 3D ultrasound and after getting the images I couldn't tell if my baby has a smooth philtrum or not. I know that was one of the signs, so I wanted to see if a doctor could review it and tell me if they have any concerns. Do you see any concerns with the scans? Can you see a philtrum? Am I just being overly worried?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Did you see my response?
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

I can see a philtrum. Characteristic facial features include short palpebral fissure length, smooth philtrum, and a thin upper lip. From your images, the upper lip is not thin. More than one-half of all women of childbearing age (18 to 44 years of age) report alcohol use, and one in eight report binge drinking in the past month. There is no exact dose-response relationship between the amount of alcohol consumed during the prenatal period and the extent of damage caused by alcohol in the infant. A systematic review did not find a significant increase in risk of low birthweight or birth of a small for gestational age infant for alcohol intake up to 10 g pure alcohol/day (about one drink per day) or an increase in preterm birth for alcohol intake up to 18 g pure alcohol/day (about 1.5 drinks per day). Subsequently, a series of studies from Denmark that evaluated the effects of maternal self-report of low to moderate alcohol consumption (<9 drinks/week) in early to mid pregnancy on developmental outcomes (IQ, attention, executive function, motor function, behavior) in 5-year-old children did not find significant effects.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response. Do you don't see any concerns with the images at all?
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

No, I don't see any concerns.