Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

I am 11 weeks postpartum and I'm still experiencing random

Customer Question

I am 11 weeks postpartum and I'm still experiencing random spotting. It can range in color from pink, brown, or yellow. I was checked at 7 weeks for retained placenta and nothing was found (at that point I was still bleeding bright red but fairly light).
I had a vaginal delivery and I'm currently breastfeeding. I also have a large fibroid. Is it normal to still be spotting under these circumstances?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Norbert Scheufele replied 1 year ago.

I suppose that it was verified by blood test that no pregnancy tissue has left inside your womb. Then bleeding can have a hormonal reason and is nothing to worry about. Just await further progress, it may take some time until the menstrual cycle becomes regular.

Best regards,

Dr. N. Scheufele

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I never had any blood testing done. What kind of blood test would that be?

Please let your blood be checked for HCG hormone. This is to make sure that no retained material can be the reason for bleeding.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just took a pregnancy test and it was negative. Does that mean there's no HCG in my system?

Blood test would be more secure, so I would suggest to do this examination to be on saver side.

if there are still open questions, I will be happy to answer them. Otherwise please don´t forget to honour my work with a kindly rating.

Thanks a lot, all the best for you,

Dr. N. Scheufele