Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have heaviness in my abdomen. I am 33. I had cells frozen

Customer Question

I have heaviness in my abdomen. I am 33. I had cells frozen off my cervix approximately 8 months ago. In the past 3 months, I have experienced increased spotting. Sometimes for a week at a time. I have had 3 kids vaginally and am otherwise in good health.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

What was the severity of abnormal cells before the freezing

What was the result of the follow-up exam (usually done about 6 months after freezing of cervix)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mild dysplasia. I had the freezing done after two irregular Pap smears and the biopsy. My follow up appointment is in two weeks.

There are several possible causes of spotting. Heaviness in the abdomen is non-specific.

However, in someone with a recent freezing for dysplasia that has not yet had the follow-up appointment, the first concern is that the freezing did not get complete control of the dysplasia. Mild dysplasia is usually well controlled by freezing, but no treatment is 100%.

There are many other possible causes of spotting and heaviness, including infection, chronic inflammation, or imbalance of the female hormones. However, evaluation for these other causes would usually wait until after the re-evaluation of the cervix.

So, the follow-up appointment would be the next step in the evaluation of the spotting and heaviness and may be sufficient to explain the symptoms.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.

Please let me know if ay additional information would be helpful.