Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
Experience:  Board certified OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

I'm now 6 weeks pregnant but very concerned as I went into a

Customer Question

I'm now 6 weeks pregnant but very concerned as I went into a hot tub (40 degrees in the tub and 16 degrees outside). I was in the tub for around 10 minutes and felt very faint when I got out.
I'm now concerned that I may have caused damage to the embryo?
Category: OB GYN
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry - I went in the hot tub at 4-5 weeks pregnant
Expert:  Dr Norbert Scheufele replied 1 year ago.

first of all congratulations on your pregnancy! ;-)

In this case there´s no reason to worry. Body temperature doesn´t change so fast and your baby is very good protected inside the womb. So you can be sure that nothing happened to the embryo.

I wish you good luck for the further months, best regards,

Dr. N. Scheufele

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response. I've read that a period of only 10-20 minutes can raise body temperature. May I ask the rate at which the body temperature increases and whether damage to an embryo can be caused during a relatively short period or whether damage is caused over a prolonged period? I'm concerned as I almost fainted when I got out and felt dizzy/ thick headed for a while after?

after about at least half an hour body temperatur can increase a bit (1-2 degrees), but this still doesn´t concern the area inside the uterus. That´s why you can be sure that this situation didn´t cause any harm to your baby.

Best regards,

Dr. N. Scheufele

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe I'm within my rights to ask a 2nd opinion from another expert? Please can you pass my questions on? I've read recent reviews about justanswer being a scam - I hope that's not the case after spending £38 - my apologies for coming across as dubious but this is obviously an important concern for me. Many thanks

ok, so I leave your question for another expert and hope you will be so fair to give me a positive valuation in case he agrees with me.

All the best for you and your pregnancy.

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.

Dr norm is correct. You can't raise your core temp in a hot tub. Especially in ten minutes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've read many professional posts / sites warning about the use of hot tubs during pregnancy. Most of them saying that your core temperature can be raised in a hot tubs in as much as 10-20 minutes.I'm surprised that you said core temperature can't rise in a hot tub based on what I've read?
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.

A 104 degree tub can raise your temp to 102. This is not embryo toxic. It's also not for a sustained time. A fever has to be sustained for a long period of time for damage to occur. You can choose to believe medical advice or what you read on the Internet.