Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I am currently experiencing vaginal discomfort. My libia

Customer Question

I am currently experiencing vaginal discomfort. My libia Minora is swollen and also very itchy. There is redness and swelling all around the lips of my vagina. I see open sores all around the lips. I am not experiencing any vaginal discharge. But the sores are bleeding. What should I do?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

How long has this been going on?

Have you had a new sex partner lately? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This just started about 2 days ago. Started with a little itching and discomfort. To now swelling and bleeding. No new sexual partners. My child's father and I have been together for 3 years. I showed it to him. Asked if he had been expierencing any discomfort, but he said he felt fine.

Open sores in the vaginal area usually means genital herpes, but that doesn't sound likely in your case. However, it's still possible, since it might be from oral herpes (cold sores), or possibly an infection acquired long ago that is just breaking out now.

It also might be a severe yeast infection, or possibly some kind of allergic reaction.

The way to know is to see a doctor for an exam and possibly herpes testing. Both herpes and yeast can be tested for in the office. If found, they can be treated.

In the meantime, sitting in water with epsom salts will be soothing and healing, regardless of the cause. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took a warm bath and now I am still in a lot of pain. I cannot get to my doctor until tomorrow. Can I send you a picture? Maybe that well you to be able to tell me what I can do to help.

I'm not 100% certain, but I think you have genital herpes.

I would see your doctor soon so that a herpes culture can be done to be sure one way or the other.