Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I am 70 yrs old and have a little vaginal bleeding??

Customer Question

Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

Do you take any hormones?

Are you sexually active? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I take bio-identical hormones but I have to admit I forget them half of the time. I am not sexual active.

Bleeding after menopause needs to be checked out. It's more often something benign, but it can be the first sign of uterine cancer, so you need an evaluation.

The cause of the bleeding could be a polyp in your cervix or uterus. If you weren't taking hormones, a common cause is the very thin uterine and vaginal lining from the low estrogen levels after menopause. Since you don't take your hormones regularly, that still might be the cause.

In any case, I would see your doctor, who will do an exam and probably an ultrasound.

If no cause for the bleeding is found on exam, and the uterine lining is very thin, then the cause is likely the thin uterine lining, and nothing further is needed.

If the uterine lining is thickened, then you would need sampling, either by a D&C or endometrial biopsy (thin tube through the cervix).

Just in case uterine cancer is found, it's the kind that we can often cure by hysterectomy. Best wishes.