Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I had a laproscopy and report stated congenital adhesions

Customer Question

Hello
I had a laproscopy and report stated congenital adhesions ascending colon to right pelvic side wall? Just been to Doctor and he said wait to see gyno follow up.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello.

Could you clarify what information you are seeking?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As the only information i have received which was from nurses in post op regarding removal of fimbrial cyst - simple cyst. And nurse stated Gyno would do follow up investigation of bowl area on next appointment. But no statement as to why. Therefore i read the laproscopy and hysteroscopy report which s tated congenital adhesions ascending colon right pelvic side wall. Being 42, being told and over those years being told i have IBS, had endometriosis excession in 2003 and removal of a flap over the pouch of douglas, as the then gyno explained. treated for helobactor in my 20's, i am just over all the probbing and getting no where with my severity of abdomin pain, menstrual cycle pain, etc and no answers. Saw my gp as per hospital instruction and he gave me nothing except next step is to follow up with the attending Gynocoligist from surgery.
Just want some idea weather or not this is going to be a life time problem with no resolution.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, report also stated no endometriosis seen this time.

If no adhesions were identified at the time of the excision of endometriosis in 2003, then it is unlikely that the adhesions that were recently identified are congenital. It is more likely that the adhesions are due to either the These will usually resolve spontaneously over about a week to ten days.previous endometriosis or from the surgery done in 2003.

Adhesions are small areas of fibrous tissue that forms between organs in the abdominal/pelvic cavity. Surgery is the most common cause of adhesions, although they can also form in response to any condition that causes infection or inflammation of the organs in the abdomen or pelvis. Endometriosis can cause adhesions because the endometrial implants can have bleeding and the blood can cause local irritation and inflammation on the surface of the organs in the abdomen and pelvis.

As for the long term prognosis, adhesions tend to remain for the rest of your life, just like other fibrous or scar tissue that forms. However, the body does typically try to reorganize fibrous tissue over time, so that they tend to become less symptomatic over time. The severity of symptoms related to adhesions can vary significantly and someone with more severe symptoms may need treatment consisting of dissecting the adhesions. We generally do not rush to perform surgery on adhesions, as surgery can cause adhesions, but in someone with more severe symptoms, there may not be much of an option.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.