Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

I am 57 years old was having heavy bleeding dr did dc then

Customer Question

I am 57 years old was having heavy bleeding dr did dc then put me on pill to control but first 3 months had some break throughs now im at the end of my 4th pack but have been having heavy bleeding with clots ive already had to have 2 transfusions and fear of another if I cant slow it down can I take 3 0r 4 pills at a time until I see my dr next wedthe 14th of oct thanks
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified Ob-gyne. I can help you today.

I'm sorry that you're having so much trouble with heavy bleeding.

Yes sometimes we do use birth control pills at high dose to slow heavy bleeding down. This increases the risk of blood clots and stroke slightly. But since your doctor put you on BCPs in the first place, you don't likely have significant risk factors.

Another option to control heavy flow is high dose progesterone by itself (without the estrogen in the BCPs). Since it's Friday, it would be a good idea to call your gynecologist as soon as possible before heading into the weekend. They may choose to change over to the high dose progesterone to get this episode under control.

Please reply if I can clarify anything. I hope this was helpful.

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

If nothing more, please leave a rating for my service. I aim for excellent and appreciate your feedback. Thanks.