Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I been taking prenatal pills so I started my period three

Customer Question

I been taking prenatal pills so I started my period three days early on my second day I took a shower n got out to dry all of a sudden blood was coming down but very watery... I'm just wondering what is it?? Should I go get check or what should I do
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

Is there any chance that you were pregnant/ Was your previous period completely normal?

How regular have your periods been lately? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I started takin the prenatal pills last month I had my period on the 11 it lasted for six days I normally have a four day cycle...no I haven't been pregnant but I'm trying to get pregnant but this morning I use the bathroom it was just normally but a bit of clots

Assuming there was no pregnancy, the most likely cause of an unusual period is hormonal changes.

I'm not sure why it was so watery, but that might also be related to hormonal changes.

In any case, I would wait to see what happens and whether this period stops when expected, and then whether your next period is normal.

If either of those don't happen, then I would see a doctor for an exam and to evaluate your hormones.

If this stops like a regular period, and your next period is normal, then it's just probably one of those unexplained things that happen to our bodies.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey I ovulate on the 17 can I still get pregnant if Ihave sex on the 16

Yes. If you ovulate on the 17th, the 16th is probably the best day to have sex.

Please click the rating button. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok let be correct I started my cycle on the 7/10 so I ovulate on the 17 correct?

In the past 6 months, how regular have your periods been coming, and about how many days from the start of one to the start of the next?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's confusing last month it was six days other months it was normally the reason why six last month I started takin the prenatal gummies

The only way to have a good idea about when you ovulate is to know the number of days from start of one period to the start of the next period (length of period is not important).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Month of September I started 11/15
On octave I started from the 7/10 my next period is nov 3/7

Ovulation occurs about 14 days before the next period.

So if you expect your next period to start November 3, that means that ovulation would occur about October 20.

You could start using urine ovulation predictor tests now to have a better idea when ovulation occurs.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't ovulate on the 17
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's says 17/21 of ovulation

Probably not, but it can be difficult to know just when ovulation occurs. Ovulation predictor tests will be positive 24-36 hours before ovulation.

Unless your periods are perfectly regular (every 28 days, every 30 days, etc), it's hard to know just when ovulation will occur.

If your cycles are irregular, your ovulation days are irregular.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This sucks okay thanks but should I try having sex on the 16th??

Sure. Have sex on the 16th and then every 1-2 days until October 20.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought sperm lasts for five days so what if we don't have sex on the 17 or 18 or 20 I want get pregnant?

Some sperm last for 5 days, but most of them are dead by 5 days.

To have the best chance of getting pregnant, you want to have sex a day or so before ovulation.

If you don't know exactly when ovulation occurs, then having sex every other day gives you a good chance that there will be enough sperm for fertilization.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's so confusing thanks alot

You're welcome.

I've tried to make is as simple as possible.

Please click the rating button. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey I took a ovulation test today it came out positive me and my husband had sex yesterday... But he had to leave today for a job out of town he want be back til next month are my chances good to get pregnant??