Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

, I have a UTI and have been taking Cipro couple

Customer Question

Customer: Hello
My name is Zara
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have a UTI and have been taking Cipro for a couple of days now
the burning sensation has gone away
however the outside, around the vaginal area and the labias is extremely swollen and red
clearly very irritated
needless to say it's been itchy for a couple of days and ive been scratching a lot
however, when i examined it in the mirror, it looks very very inflamed
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to OB GYN Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

Hello Zara,

How old are you?

Are there any ulcerations that you can see?

When was the last time you had sex? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am 27 and last week

Your inflammation and irritation may be the result of a yeast infection, which may be due to taking the cipro, or genital herpes might be a possibility.

With genital herpes, there will be ulcerations visible. With a bad yeast infection, there will be generalized inflammation.

If there is any question, it would be best to see your doctor for testing.

Sitting in water with epsom salts will be soothing and healing regardless of the cause.

If it is a yeast infection, you could try yeast cream, but with that much inflammation, a pill taken by mouth would be preferable. That requires a prescription by your doctor.