Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I have had a partial hysterectomy years ago. I have

Customer Question

I have had a partial hysterectomy years ago. I have continued to have ovarian cyst ever since. I currently have a 3.4 cm cyst on my left ovary. What can I do to prevent more cyst. I have had cyst since I was 15 yrs old. I am currently 40.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

Birth control pills will prevent the development of ovarian cysts. If the cysts are bothersome, it may be worthwhile for you to take a low dose birth control pill.

If the cysts are not too bothersome, you could try to ignore them.

The cysts will stop once you go through menopause. That usually occurs sometime between the age of 40 and 55.

The other possibility would be to remove your ovaries. That is usually not difficult using a laparoscope, so you'd go home the same day. If that were done, you'd probably be better off taking estrogen replacement after.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've taken birth control pills in the past. They didn't do much to help. I've had several large cyst that have ruptured in the past as well. I'm a little uneasy about estrogen replacement therapy due to the fact that 2 of my cousins ony mothers side have had breast cancer as well as one of my mother's sister having breast cancer.

Large studies have shown that taking estrogen does not increase a woman's chances for getting breast cancer. Taking estrogen plus progesterone after menopause might, but you wouldn't need progesterone because you don't have a uterus.