Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

Does genital warts mean V in females? I am currently

Customer Question

Does genital warts mean HIV in females? I am currently pregnant after one month of trying. However, about 2 months prior to trying I got a couple of genital warts in my vagina area. I have only ever been with long term boyfriends. Even though the last boyfriend, about a year and a half ago, we didn't use protection but he "pulled out" and wasn't a high risk partner. Neither is my current boyfriend. Also, my first boyfriend is now married with kids. I recently had a thinprep pap done and the STD's that are tested for using that pap test came back negative, as did high risk HPV and the pap was normal. I also do not have any other vaginal issues or infections. I am currently waiting my results and am a bit nervous, even though I was nervous before testing.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

Genital warts do not mean HIV in females or males.

Genital warts are very common. They are caused by low risk HPV. Most of us are exposed to low risk HPV at some time during our lives. Sometimes it shows up as genital warts, and sometimes our bodies just get rid of the virus.

Most of the time it's not possible to know just who we got the HPV virus from, as it can sometimes stay in our bodies for a long time before the warts show up.

Genital warts are usually easily treated using either freezing, burning, or chemicals. Your doctor can do that easily in the office.

Most likely your HIV test will be negative, as I would guess that you are at quite low risk for HIV. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to stay off of google. It says that is a symptom of HIV in women. Also, I am assuming my last boyfriend was a low risk partner based off what he told me. What that still make me lower risk?

HIV is spread mostly by IV drug use, homosexual sex, and having sex with someone who does either. It sounds like you're low risk.