Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

I had a d and c Tuesday vaginal bleeding and passing large

Customer Question

I had a d and c Tuesday for heavy vaginal bleeding and passing large clots after a hemmorhage immediately following child birth. The baby is 12 days old. I have very light bleeding during the day but it increases at night and by morning the pad is soaked. During the day I then go back to very light. Is this normal? If so, why does that happen?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified Ob-gyne with 30+ years of experience. I can help you today.

I'm sorry you had this trouble.

At night the bleeding increases because the relaxation of muscles during the night and blood pooling. So there will be more blood collecting inside the uterus and vagina which can come out suddenly.

With delivery just 12 days ago, this type of bleeding is very common. Bleeding will also increase temporarily after breast feeding due to contractions of the uterus pushing out blood collections. So an increase and decrease in the flow is very common for up to 6 weeks after delivery.

Usually we see patients at 6 weeks post delivery and do an exam to check on the amount of bleeding and how the uterus is returning to normal.

I hope this has been reassuring. Please reply if I can clarify anything or add more details.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Very reassuring. Thank you! I usually wouldn't worry but it has been a scary couple of weeks. Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it would be scary to have to have any type of complication taking your attention away from your baby.

Have a good recovery from this point out.

I'm glad my information was reassuring. Please leave a rating for my service. I aim for excellent and appreciate your feedback. Thanks.