Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

I had rough foreplay and I started bleeding during thus

Customer Question

I had rough foreplay and I started bleeding during thus time. Of course we stopped because it was scary. It didn't bleed very long and was a light pink to slightly red color. This hasn't happened during normal foreplay or sex, only when it's rough or deeper than normal. I feel no pain from it.
Category: OB GYN
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am 45 years old.
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified Ob-gyne with 30+ years of experience. I can help you today

I'm sorry that you're having this scary bleeding.

Non-painful bleeding during sex can come from a very wide range of causes, most not too worrisome. But it does need to be checked out. It can be anything from a non-cancerous polyp being bumped to varicose veins of the cervix.

As women get older, there can also be bleeding from thinning of the tissue with lowering estrogen levels.

The only way to figure this out is to go for evaluation. This would include at least an exam and most likely a pelvic ultrasound. On exam, the doctor looks for visible causes of bleeding. We'd make sure the pap smear is up to date. And take more history about the period pattern to check for hormonal causes of bleeding. The ultrasound helps to look for polyps and fibroids along the uterine lining. Any of those can cause bleeding during sex.

So the bot***** *****ne is that more history, an exam and some testing is needed to figure out the cause. But it's not likely to be anything life-threatening. But rather something very treatable.

I hope this has been reassuring and helpful. Please reply if I can clarify anything.

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

Any questions?

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

If no more questions, please leave a rating for my service. I aim for excellent and appreciate your feedback. Thanks and good luck. I hope it turns out to be something simple.