Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
Experience:  Board certified OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

I am 41 years old. Until the last few months I have never

Customer Question

Hi. I am 41 years old. Until the last few months I have never had BV and have had a UTI and/or yeast infection maybe a few times over the course of my adult life.
Since May I have had BV 3 times, UTI 3 times and yeast at least 2.
I have asked my gyn if anything unusual could be causing this as I have not had any changes in my lifestyle, but she seems nonplused. Says these just happen randomly. No known reason. . . etc.. I want to be sure there is nothing more serious underlying.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.

Have you changed soap or hair product? Partners? Your workout routine? Has your partner changed soap or skin care products?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, to all of the above. thank you.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.

Most likely you have not been adequately treated for BV. A good treatment is Diflucan two pills 48 hours apart and a week of metronidazole vaginal or oral. This should be repeated monthly for 3-6 months.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hmmm. . . that is definitely not what I have had. The first time around I had Flagyl for 10 days. I was fine for about a 6 weeks, and I did go back to the doctor and the infection had cleared. Then, the 2nd time I used a vaginal antibiotic (can not recall name) and, same, went back for re-check and was clear.But, if I am understanding your comment above, I should repeat monthly even if no symptoms and I have "tested" clean.Also, I should add that I have been fighting a low grade fever (99.8-100.2) for about 6 weeks now. Am working with my primary care doc, who has referred me to ID and Rhumetology, to figure out cause. All blood tests for infection and inflammation have come back negative. Would BV cause a fever? and an elevated white blood cell count?My primary care doc has tested for UTI during the course of this fever and that was negative.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.

Bv does not cause fever. If it is resistant. That's how it's treated, as I noted above.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. Thanks. But, if it is resistant, would my tests have come back as "normal" when I tested for follow ups after each infection?
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.

Yes possibly. Though I have no idea what tests were done