Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

My daughter was recently put on norethendone to bring on her

Customer Question

Good morning my daughter was recently put on norethendone to bring on her period after being on provera for 5 days and no period came . She is 32 and skipped period 2 months before starting these drugs she did check blood before and not pregnant after bleeding occurs the game plan is for her to start clomid to try to become pregnant:) may I have your opinion? Thank you mama
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

Hello Mama and welcome.

How were your daughter's periods before she skipped the 2 months?

Has she ever had a D&C?

Does she have hot flashes? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello doctor:) no d&c her game plan is to become pregnant may I have your thoughts?:) do you think norethendone is a good choice to bring in period and then start clomid? Kristen had been ion norethendone for 5 days And no period yet thank you so

When a woman doesn't get her period, and she's not pregnant, that generally means that she didn't ovulate. So it's common to try to bring on a period with provera or norethindrone and then use clomid to get her to ovulate.

It's a little unusual that her period didn't come after 5 days of provera. Hopefully it will come after the norethindrone. If not, that would suggest that her estrogen levels are low. In that case the clomid may not work well.

The best thing to do now is to wait to see whether she gets a period after the norethindrone. Since she doesn't have hot flashes, she most likely will. Then the clomid will be appropriate. Best wishes to you both.