Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I have been on nexaplanon birth control 2 years with no

Customer Question

I have been on nexaplanon birth control for almost 2 years with no periods. Now had a full blown period with pms and cramps 3 weeks ago and now still bleeding 3 weeks later. Cause?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

How old are you?

When was your last pelvic exam?

Do you have any fibroid tumors in your uterus?

Have you had an ultrasound lately? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am 35. Last exam a year and half ago. No fibroids that I know of. Ultrasound with last baby 2 years ago. My husband died suddenly 2 weeks ago so could it be stress?

Were you stressed before your husband died (since the bleeding started 1 week before he died)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. I had cramps, heavy bleeding for a week then it faded. He died and i started bleeding alot but light cramps then a few days light bleeding no cramps now heavier bleeding.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hormone imbalance since i am my 2 year old from breastfeedin
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Meant i am weaning my 2 year old from breastfeeding

I suspect that the stress of your husband dying has made the bleeding worse or more prolonged, but something else must have caused the bleeding.

It's possible that you have a fibroid tumor in your uterus, which is fairly common at age 35. That could explain the bleeding. There is also a condition called adenomyosis that could explain it.

Since you're weaning your child, the bleeding may be due to the increased hormones from your ovaries, which naturally occurs when weaning is happening.

Abnormal bleeding is the most common side effect of nexplanon, and sometimes we don't have any specific explanation. It's unlikely to be anything serious.

I would recommend seeing your doctor, since the bleeding has been going on for 3 weeks.

An exam and perhaps an ultrasound will help determine if there are fibroids or any other abnormality.

If nothing else is found, sometimes some estrogen pills will help to resolve the bleeding.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what happens if i wait weeks to go in? My insurance ends September30 and i know that ultrasounds are expensive. If it's fibroids do they go away on their own? Can i wait it out?

You could wait it out and see whether the bleeding resolves on its own. It certainly might.

Ultrasound is somewhat expensive, but perhaps you could have one in the next 6 days before your insurance runs out.

Fibroids don't go away on their own until menopause. They usually all go away after menopause.

Fibroids are common and don't usually require treatment unless they cause bleeding problems. There are various methods for managing fibroids, but often they involve surgery.