Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I and I would like to ask a question. I recently was

Customer Question

Hello I my name is ***** ***** I would like to ask a question. I recently was diagnosed with a std called chlamydia a month ago and I was treated. But my boyfriend just got his results back from the doctor and he didn't have the disease. Is it possible to get a woman get an std and the male don't? Is it possible?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

It's possible, but it's extremely unlikely, unless you always use condoms.

There are false negative tests, where he has chlamydia, but the test doesn't pick it up. I suspect that's the most likely thing.

It's also possible that your test was a false positive, but that's much more unlikely.

If you don't use condoms all the time, it's most likely that you both had chlamydia, but his test didn't pick it up.

We usually treat the partner of someone who tests positive for chlamydia, whether or not we do a test.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. So could their be an error in the test results. Can they do an std test on a male without swabbing the penis?

That's what I said that there could be an error in the test results. But it's more likely that the error is that he has chlamydia but the test didn't show it.

They can test for chlamydia by swabbing the penis or by testing the urine.