Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I spotted weeks before my period was due - the spotting then

Customer Question

I spotted for two weeks before my period was due - the spotting then stopped when I stopped the contraceptive pill 5 days ago - now day 5 I have only a small amount of spotting/bleeding. I plan not to continue the pill to get pregnant - is this a withdrawal bleed - is it likely that I will continue to spot?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

It is a withdrawal bleed. It's lighter than usual because of the spotting you've been having.

Most likely this will be a short period, and then you will stop spotting.

Usually the next period after stopping the pill will be a little late, perhaps 1-2 weeks, so don't be surprised if it is. Best wishes.