Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I would like to know what will happen, when I had the

Customer Question

Hello, I would like to know what will happen, when I had the ovulation induction (for IVF) but the egg retrieval did not happen (death in the family). What did happen with those egg? Is there a normal ovulation? We had sex with my husband, im now pregnant and im worried, that there might be many eggs ready and I may be expecting triplets for example. Is this possible? Thank you
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

When was the retrieval supposed to occur?

Do you know how many follicles were mature (16-22mm)? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, it should have occur 3 weeks ago. There were at least 8 eggs. Thank you

It is possible (and probably likely) that you ovulated multiple eggs, and now are pregnant with twins, triplets, or more.

The gestational sac, or sacs can usually be seen on ultrasound between 5-6 weeks. If ovulation occurred 3 weeks ago, you are now 5 weeks pregnant.

I would see your doctor for an ultrasound. Then you'll know if there is more than one baby. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is a normal ovolution after the IVF treatment just with the difference of more eggs? Thank you for your help

Yes, I would expect a normal ovulation with more eggs.

You're welcome.

Please click the rating button. Thank you.