Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I had unprotected sex about 4 days after being on the

Customer Question

I had unprotected sex about 4 days after being on the Nuvaring. Should I take Plan B? If so, should I discontinue th Nuvaring and when should I reinsert a new one?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

It would depend upon how the Nuvaring was started. If you were taking no previous hormonal birth control method and the NuvaRing was started on the first day of a period, then you are protected and no intervention is needed. If you were taking no previous hormonal birth control method and the NuvaRing was started after the first day of a period, i.e., day 2 or later, then it is recommended to use a back-up method for 7 days. The usual recommendation is to use condms during the sexual encounter, but since that did not happen, taking Plan B is the only option at this point. You do not take out the Nuvaring until it is scheduled to be removed.