Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I am 57 last period appx 3-4 years ago normal pap smears had

Customer Question

i am 57 last period appx 3-4 years ago normal pap smears had a discharge that looked like dried blood this am no recent sexual activity
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

Dried blood needs to be evaluated. It's called post menopausal bleeding. It's most often from benign causes, but can be a sign of uterine cancer.

I would see your doctor. He/she will do an exam and probably an ultrasound.

If your uterine lining is thickened, you will need evaluation of the uterine lining. This can be either a D&C or an endometrial biopsy (thin tube through the cervix to sample the lining).

If the biopsy is normal, nothing further is usually needed.

In case there is extra buildup, it can usually be treated with progesterone pills.

Just in case there is uterine cancer, it's the kind that we can usually cure by hysterectomy. Best wishes.