Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

Pls what is the best way to get rid of 3weeks pregnancy

Customer Question

Good morning doc. Pls what is the best way to get rid of 3weeks pregnancy
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified Ob-gyne with 30+ years of experience. I can help you this morning.

I'm sorry that you're in this situation. The safest and most effective way this early is to get a "medical abortion". This involves taking 2 different types of pills. One taken in the office and the 2nd usually at home later. The earlier these medications are taken, the more effective. So being as early as you are means that success rate will be very high, close to 100%. To find services for this, call the closest Planned Parenthood. They provide services on a sliding scale so people who can afford to pay more pay more, but people who can't afford it, pay less.

I hope this was helpful. Please reply if I can clarify anything.

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/learn/abortion/the-abortion-pill

Any questions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What's the name of two pills I will take
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

The pills are misoprostol and mefeprisone.

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

The mefepristone is highly regulated and can only be obtained in a doctors office or at an abortion clinic. Different clinics use different dosages but the latest research shows that a better success rate is with a single pill of 200mg.

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

The misoprostol is easier to obtain. It has many other uses besides for medical abortion. The dose and how to take it varies from clinic to clinic but latest research shows it's most effective when the 8 pills are placed inside the cheek and allowed to dissolve there as long as possible. They don't taste good so eventually most women swallow them.

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

The usual dose is 8 pills of 100mcg strength. There may be some variation in dosing so don't worry about that.

There is sometimes a different medication used instead of the mefepristone called methotrexate. It's easier to obtain but not as effective.

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

Some clinics make the woman come back to take the second set of pills in the office the day after the mefepristone. But some clinics give the woman the pills to take home and use the next day.

The cramping and bleeding usually starts within a couple of hours of taking the 2nd set of pills. It will be intense cramping and the bleeding can be heavy. But the whole process is usually pretty short, lasting not more than 2-4 hours.

Any other questions? I want to be sure you have the most helpful information for your situation.

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

If no more questions. Please leave a rating for my service. I aim for excellent and appreciate your feedback. Good luck during this hard time. I wish you well.

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

It's Dr. C. checking in on how things are going along. Let me know if you need anything more.