Internist
Internist, Doctor
Experience:  Diplomate American Board of Internal Medicine
23050427

I am a 43 year old woman, never pregnant, in the beginning

Customer Question

I am a 43 year old woman, never pregnant, in the beginning stages of perimenopause. As such, my periods have become very irregular. In July my period lasted about three weeks-fortunately most of that was not heavy bleeding. In August I had no period though for about six weeks I experienced all the symptoms of PMS including bloating and tender, swollen breasts. I was told that both of these things were normal. I currently have my period and, in addition to severe cramping and heavier flow than I've experienced in several months, the discharge itself is very unusual. After some initial light bleeding - which didn't alarm me - I then felt a steady flow which turned out to be more or less clear liquid, tinged pink. After that the discharge was clear but thick and sticky with some blood in it. I then passed two clots, about the size and shape of large cherry tomatoes, which were not just my usual dark bloody and gelatinous clots but rather bloody and fleshy looking and harder than normal though not solid. Should I be concerned about this discharge or is this a normal transition during perimenopause?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Internist replied 1 year ago.

Dear JA customer,

sorry to hear about your problem,

your symptoms are very suggestive of perimenopause. some bleeding is expected, but passing clots concerns me to check for endometrial thickness by ultrasound, transvaginal and possible endometrial biopsy. although chances are more in the favour of normal perimenopausal changes, you should definitely undergo at least ultrasound of uterus, local examination and normal labs.

I hope this helps

Expert:  Internist replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Internist replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Internist replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any questions? or did i not answer your query.

Expert:  Internist replied 1 year ago.

If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drhashmimd/?rpt=3800