Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I've been off depo two years I recently got back on three

Customer Question

I've been off depo for almost two years I recently got back on three months ago I was due for the next shot the 9th of this month but decided not too how long would it be before I get my menstrual plus I've been having pregnancy symptoms is it too early for a pregnancy test or should I wait and see if my period comes
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

Since you were protected by the depo until 1 week ago, pregnancy is pretty unlikely.

You could do a pregnancy test, since it should be positive if your symptoms are due to pregnancy.

It's more likely that your pregnancy symptoms are due to your ovaries waking up and making hormones again.

Sometimes women don't get a period for months after stopping depo, so I don't think that waiting for your period will help much.

If your pregnancy test is negative (most likely), then your pregnancy symptoms are not from pregnancy. If you wish to become pregnant, I would then wait for your period to come, since the symptoms suggest that your ovaries are working again, and sooner or later you'll likely get your period.