Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I had my iud years AND NEVER HAD A PERIOD. I HAD IT REMOVED

Customer Question

i had my iud for 10 years AND NEVER HAD A PERIOD. I HAD IT REMOVED TWO YEARS AGO AND STILL DID NOT GET MY PERIOD. I AM TRYING TO GET PREGNANT. IS IT POSSIBLE. I AM NOW 39 YEARS OLD
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

What kind of iud did you have?

Have you had hot flashes?

Were you having regular periods before the iud was inserted? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
mirena
yes
yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what i received was more questions not an answer. hopefully i can get an answer with the information i have provided

It would be helpful if you answered my other questions.

However, with no period for 2 years, pregnancy is unlikely.

No period usually means no ovulation, since ovulation brings on a period. However, no bleeding at all for 2 years is suggestive of possible early menopause. Usually you would have hot flashes with that.

In any case, a blood test of your FSH and estrogen will give part of the answer. Or if your FSH is very high, it will give all the answer, namely menopause.

Another possibility is that your uterine lining is scarred, and that's the reason for no period. That's not likely if you were having regular periods before the iud, but if your estrogen is normal, that can be checked.

In any case, you'll need to see your doctor to get a good idea whether pregnancy is possible.

If the only problem is not ovulating, that's usually not difficult to resolve with pills to induce ovulation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did answer your questions I said yes to hot flashes and yes to having my periods before the iud. Don't know what question I did not answer. I also told u what iud I had

Sorry. It wasn't clear to me that you were answering my questions.

Since you previously had regular periods, and you've had hot flashes, I think you are in early menopause. A blood test will help to confirm that.

Most likely you will not be able to get pregnant, since menopause means you have no more eggs. I'm sorry.

I would see a doctor, since you may not be in complete menopause, and then there might be a chance for pregnancy.