DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Internist trained in OB/GYN
55099014

I have been having a lot of trouble 3 years. I get frequent

Customer Question

I have been having a lot of trouble for over 3 years. I get frequent UTIs. And I've determined I must have IC, I've been to the doctor so many times with what I thought was a bladder infection only to have them tell me no it wasn't. I've found out if I watch what I eat/drink I can avoid the bladder pain. Also for over 3 years, I've had vaginal itching. It never fully goes away. I can use yeast creams or pills and it will go away for a few days and then start creeping back. Here's the weird part, when I'm on my period I don't itch, then once I'm off my period the itching comes right back. I've gone to the doctor thinking I had a big nasty yeast infection and had them tell me I just had a tiny bit of yeast. I'm so sick of these problems, and the doctors just don't have answers for me! I've been so many times that it's to the point of being embarrassing. (like they might think it's all in my head!)
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.

any other medical issues?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have had asthma all my life I have taken advair and rescue inhalers for years and years. Had to take prednisone a lot in my younger years. I'm pretty sure the steroids in advair can contribute to candida, but not positive. I've always had a lot of UTIs and yeast infections. (At least I think it was yeast) the only other health problems I have are chronic joint pain and extremely low energy just tired all the time. (which they tested me for many things and came up with nothing) I am over weight (but can't seem to lose weight unless I practically starve myself!) I also take nexium for acid reflux and have developed many food allergies over the last several years.
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.

The itch is probably a bacterial imbalance of the vagina

have you had this tested?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've been tested for different things (other than yeast) so I'm thinking I probably have had that tested.
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.

Did they recommend a probiotic or treating the vaginal PH?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No they haven't. I'm taking a good probiotic (just recently started). Is that all you would recommend doing if it is a bacterial imbalance? It seems so strange to me that it doesn't itch when I'm on my period. I thought that would narrow things down to be able to figure it out! How do you treat vaginal ph? I know blood is more alkaline right? So would that mean I'm too acidic and when Theres blood present it's making it more alkaline?
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.

The normal vaginal PH is around 4. So many people are not acidic enough. A water and vinegar douche once per day can help.

When you are on your period, the ph probably goes down

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, I can try that, how much vinegar would you use to how much water? Half and half?
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.

yep. 50/50

Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.

Please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it. If you have more questions, just reply. :)