Dr David
Dr David, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced physican trained in ob-gyn and oncology
41363181

2 days ago I started taking fenugreek bars and milk water

Customer Question

2 days ago I started taking fenugreek bars and milk water tea to increase milk supply. On the seconds nights I woke up with hives all over my body. Obviously I stopped taking it today, but I keep getting more on my body and face. I continue to breastfeed
my 2 week old baby. (Is that ok?) My milk supply seems to be ok. But I myself have hives all over, what can I do to stop this? I have not changed my diet, the only thing I can blame this on is the milk water tea and fenugreek bars. Please tell me if this is
something that will go away on its own, or what do I need to do to make it stop.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

hives can come from viral infection or allergy from food or the environment

you should check your temperature to make sure you are not running a fever.

you can use over the counter tylenol and benadryl (diphenhydramine) when you are breast feeding to help calm down hives and allergic reactions on your skin

if your hives get worse or if you start to develop fevers above 101F, then you should see a doctor for evaluation and treatment.

you can also try hydrocortisone cream and benadryl cream on your skin to help calm down the hives.

let me know if you have questions.