Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

Dr.C. I am currently 17 weeks.and.5 days pregnant. My

Customer Question

Hello.Dr.C. I am currently 17 weeks.and.5 days pregnant. My expected due date is February 15, 2015. I had my first sonogram at.9 weeks. Are ultrasounds.always 100% accurate? My day of conception is May 25, 2015 but I did not have any sexual intercourse towards the end of May. I'm a little confused on who my child's father could be. I truly believe my ex is the baby's father because.he was the only one I was intimate with leading up to the 25. We were intimate on May 15, 2015, May.16, 2015, and May 17, 2015, and maybe even May 19, 2015. I am 20 years old and my ex is 47 years of age and he believes that he did not get me pregnant with us having unprotected sex. I suspected two other men to be the father. I had sex with one partner on June 2, 2015 for only 4 seconds. And I had sex with a different partner on June 8, 2015 but he used protection. I did not get my menstrual period in June my period was already 9 days late. I had very few pregnancy symptoms I did.not get morning sickness I felt nauseous and my boobs started to get heavy. I finally took a pregnancy test on June 14, 2015 and it said I was pregnant. Then on June 15th I went up to planned parenthood to confirm the. pregnancy test. I gave the doctor the date of my LMP and she told me I was already 5 weeks along. Could my date of conception be correct?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, It's Dr. C. Thanks for asking for me. I can help you today.

Let me look at these dates and see what I think. It'll take me a few minutes.

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have the very first ultrasound report? Those measurements are the most accurate, more accurate than the last period. If you have the information, give me the date of the ultrasound and the exact wording of the report.

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

From the information so far, I must say that it's more likely to be the ex. The reason I think this is that sperm can live for several days inside a woman so the conception date can be several days after the sex.

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

Ultrasounds are accurate plus or minus 3 days, maybe 5 to leave room for technician error. So if you were given a conception date of May 25th, the range could be as wide as May 20-30. And if sperm lives for 5 days, sex as early as May 15th could have resulted in this pregnancy.

Since after that, you didn't have sex until June2nd, it does seem most likely that it's your ex. I would insist on paternity testing if he continues to deny that he's the father. On what basis does he think he's not the father? It really does seem to me he's the most likely one.

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

If no more questions, please leave a rating for my service. I aim for excellent and appreciate your feedback. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is my first ultrasound at 9 weeks
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

What a beautiful baby! The image doesn't have any measurement markers on it though. Do you have the wording of the report? I see that it was done 7-17-2015. But I don't see any measurements. Once I have that information I will do the calculations, review the information you gave me so far and tell you what I think about it all.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I do not have one with measurement markers but this is the most current one.
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

Well after reviewing these images I do think that you should insist on paternity testing. If your ex refuses you need to seek legal help with your state. On your states website there should be information about this. I can help you find the right resources if you tell me what state you live in.

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

Any questions? If none please leave a rating for my service. I aim for excellent and appreciate your feedback. I'll be able to continue to help you with follow-up questions in this same post. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would you recommend prenatal paternity testing?
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

Yes I do. I don't think there will be any other way to convince this man. Go to the website for the state you live in. If you put "paternity testing" into their search engine, you should find the resources you need to get this done legally.

Good luck. It's important that you settle this.

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

Please leave an excellent rating for my service. I appreciate it. Thanks.