Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

Im 35 and actively trying with my husband baby. My cycle has

Customer Question

Im 35 and actively trying with my husband for a baby. My cycle has always been 28 days. This month my period came 4 days early which is unusual for me. It was dark brown, dried and had some matter in it that was unusual and looked like tissue, there was later some cervical mucus and pale pink bleeding. I had intense cramps an a small ball of grey- tiny - also came out. Usually my breasts are tender up until my period, however they still felt tender 4 days afterwards which is also unusual. The bleeding continued until it turned into a normal menstrual cycle bleed - this has gone on for 7 days when I usually bleed for just 4. I have a hycosy scan booked next week. Im not sure what I experienced other than it was abnormal for me..
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

Do you know whether you ovulated this month?

Was your previous period completely normal and did it come when expected? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi,
I didn't use any ovulation tests but presumed I ovulated as normal, I had no signs to confirm it. My last period was short and light but no largely different to my usual pattern.
Best WishesKirsten

Hi Kristen,

At age 35, it's not unusual for a woman to experience some menstrual irregularities. Usually it's due to missing an ovulation, which tends to occur more often during the 30's and 40's.

Ovulation is what causes the hormonal changes that cause the following period to be normal in timing and character. If you don't ovulate, then something more irregular is likely to happen, possibly like what you've experienced.

As long as most of your periods are regular and normal, I don't think it's anything to be concerned about. You'll know if your next period comes when expected and seems normal.

The hycosy scan will also help to determine whether or not everything is completely normal inside your uterus. If you have a polyp or small fibroid, it will pick it up.

I would discuss this unusual period/bleeding with your doctor before the scan. If you didn't ovulate, then the uterine lining may not clean off well with the bleeding, which means it may look thick or irregular on the scan. Your doctor may or may not wish to wait a month to do the scan after a more normal period. Best wishes.