Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

C. Is Marvelon effective as an emergency contraceptive? 4

Customer Question

Hi Dr C. Is Marvelon effective as an emergency contraceptive? 4 tablets within 72h and again 4 tablets? 1tablet contains 0,150mg desogestrel and 0,030mg ethinylestradiol. Thank you.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.

thanks for this question.

When did you take this?

any other medical issues?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took it within one hour after contact.
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.

It is not as effective as if taken regularly

taking it as you did is about 50/50 as an emergency contraceptive.

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified Ob-gyne with 30+ years of experience. I can help you and provide as much detail as you need. Thanks for asking for me.

Marvelon is a combination birth control pill with a newer progesterone in it. There is no research on the use of these newer combination BCPs as use for emergency contraception. The older combination pills with different progesterones have been researched but not the newer pills.

So I'd say that this is not effective. It would be best if you could get either Plan B, Ella or have a Paragard IUD placed as soon as possible. Of these the Paragard IUD placement is the most effective plus it has the added benefit of providing an additional 10+ years of very effective contraception. And it can be removed at any time. Second best is Ella. It can be used up to 5 days after the event but requires a prescription. Plan B is effective up to 72 hours and is available over the counter. It's 3rd best.

Please reply so I can continue to answer any questions you have about this.

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

If no more questions, please leave a rating for my service. I aim for excellent and appreciate your feedback. Thanks.