Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

I have 4 children. I had 3 previous csections 2008,2009 and

Customer Question

I have 4 children. I had 3 previous csections 2008,2009 and twin delivery 2011 (no complications at birth but we lost one later). I have also had a tummy tuck last November (2014)! in which they cut over my previous csections scars so I just the one scar. Now we have changed our mind and we are considering another baby!.
Please could you tell me would the implications be on my health and the baby?
Do you have any previous records of patients having babies after tummy tuck?
What are the risks after 3 csections?
Would I have to request doctors notes from previous delivery?
would scar tissue or other factors affect whether we go ahead or not? or is there no real answer for sure until I see how the pregnancy goes.
Just would like info as possible to now could I have another child and for everything to be OK? thank you
Category: OB GYN
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please could you not post this question publiclity on your website I dont want anyone to read it thanks. Hope to hear from you soon.
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified Ob-gyne with 30+ years of experience. I can help you. When you're done rating, we can request customer service to remove the question from public view.

The major risk with 3 previous c-sections is uterine rupture and complications having to do with abnormalities of placental attachment. Here is a good summary of the risks with percentages based on number of c-sections. The risk increases with each c-section:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16738145

Placentas normally grow in a way that makes it easy for them to detatch from the uterine wall after the baby is delivered. With these complications, the placenta grows in various degrees into the uterine wall and cannot be easily detached. Risk of life threatening bleeding is real.

Regarding the tummy tuck. The scarring may make it uncomfortable when the uterus grows putting pressure on it. It's hard to say how much discomfort it will cause because this varies from woman to woman. Some women carry in a way that there is very little pressure while others can have significant discomfort as the pregnancy progresses.

I hope this information has been helpful.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As previously asked could you just confirm should I be requesting previous doctors notes to help with the decision or should this not be sufficient as every pregnancy and birth is different? also would you say the only major factor re previous tummy tuck would be discomfort in pregnancy but this should not any major implications on another c-section?
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

Previous notes would be helpful. It would give the current doctor a sense of how difficult or easy the previous c-sections were. If there was already a lot of scar tissue, how well you tend to heal, are you a bleeder, etc.

The tummy tuck won't be a huge added factor. 3 previous c-sections already tell the surgeon that this is a high risk situation and requires great care in dissecting tissue planes.

Anything else?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can you please just ask my previous post - do you think it would be important to get previous doctors notes on delivery? or would this not be necessary? would having discomfort in pregnancyfrom previous tummy tuck be the only drawback or would a previous tummy tuck effect and cause problems for c-section deliver? thanks
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

It looks like you didn't see my response? Here it is again:

Anything else?